Monday, December 11, 2017

You Can't Do it All

I remember when I was a young mom with young children and teaching full time. I was often filled with guilt because my busy schedule of parenting and teaching left little room for anything else. I made the "family first" rule and made sure that I prioritized my family needs as well as my school responsibilities. Looking back I would not change my priorities, but I would reduce the guilt. Bottom line is that you can't do it all, and sometimes you simply have to say no in order to keep your priorities in line.

The same guilt continues as I balance current priorities too. While my home responsibilities are reduced since my children are much older, there's still a balancing act between home responsibilities and school, and still some guilt at not being able to to it all. But I know that that I'm not alone in this as we live in a world with countless opportunities for professional and personal pursuits, and the continual challenge to prioritize well is both a challenge and a privilege.

With that said, I begin the week with a priority on students' math learning, class community building, holiday preparations, and family gatherings/care. Onward.