Friday, December 22, 2017

Wrong Expectations

I voiced concern over a matter today, and got a surprising response. The response led me to wonder if my expectations with regard to the issue are completely off track. Perhaps what I expect is not what others expect, and perhaps how I define the situation is very different from the ways that others define the situation.

So in looking deeper at the issue, I will use the following questions:
  • What are the priorities in this matter?
  • What are the expectations?
  • How is the matter assessed and evaluated?
  • What is my role related to this issue?
In a sense the situation might be having the expectation that you're eating an apple, but instead you're eating an tomato, cookie, or an avocado. No matter how good the cookie, avocado, or tomato is, you won't be satisfied if you're expectation is that you're eating a cookie.

This is why issue, role, and situation definition is important. It's important that people know what to expect or perhaps craft what to expect. It's important that people understand the parameters and the goals so that they can assess, evaluate, and develop well.