Sunday, December 10, 2017

Promoting Educator Voice, Choice, and Leadership

For years I've been advocating for greater teacher and student voice, choice, and leadership in education. I've felt that the predominance of top-down hierarchy and leadership models have stood in the way of better schools and greater capacity. I have urged systems to promote educator voice, choice, and leadership with greater distributive models of leadership, models where educators and students do lead education in ways that matter.

Lately I've noticed much greater teacher voice, choice, and leadership in the system where I work and in the greater education community too. I've noticed this in multiple ways including the following:
  • The new superintendent in our system has invited educators to share their impressions and thoughts about the school system and to serve on a focus group related to their ideas and perspectives. This is positive.
  • Our new local union president is reaching out to enlist the ideas, perspectives, and efforts of the membership with regard to important issues and ideas that affect the work we're able to do. This too is very positive.
  • Curriculum directors are reaching out to educators for their ideas about scheduling.
  • The local foundation continues to reach out to educators to write grants for innovative ideas. 
  • Decisions have been made to enlist greater educator voice with regard to their evaluations too.
  • Faculty meetings have included greater teacher presentations and ideas.
This is all very positive, and has given me greater time, energy, and ideas to move my practice forward. I hope that this positive emphasis continues, and I hope that educators will become more and more comfortable and active with regard to speaking up, sharing ideas, and leading our profession close to home, at the state level, nationally, and globally too. This will result in better schools and better service to every student and family. Onward.