Thursday, October 19, 2017

What's Ahead? Mid-October 2017

As parent conferences near the last few meetings, I am thinking ahead to what we'll do as a grade-level team in the days ahead.

Place Value Learning Continues
Students and teachers will continue to focus on place value concept, skill, knowledge, and application. This study will include a unit one assessment next week, follow-up RTI efforts, and the start of place value unit two.

Facts and Math Skills
This will take on a more targeted effort in the days ahead with a lot of variety depending on students' skill, interest, time, and motivation.

Science Study: Matter
I'll dig into this unit in the week ahead and begin the teaching next week. I'm looking forward to implementing this new, high-interest curriculum unit.

Reading RTI
Our small group has only met once so far. I actually think this effort is too choppy at this point in the curriculum and believe it would profit from an everyday approach of some kind. I'd like to discuss this with my colleagues and see how we might change this in this in the years ahead to improve. One idea I've always wanted to foster at the elementary level is the use of advisories where every teacher is matched with a small social group and with that group they work on reading, writing and social competency. This all-hands-on-deck would include all available educators including special educators, teaching assistants, and classroom educators. Group numbers would differ dependent on needs and interests. In the meantime, I'll work with my RTI group to read and enjoy the book we're sharing.

Field Trips and Expert Visitors
There's work to do to solidify, plan, confirm, and prepare students for these valuable events.

Administrative/Organizational Work
There's lots of catch-up to do in this area. Yesterday students and I made a dent with regard to updating portfolios, collecting field trip forms, and arranging classroom materials and notices.

Professional Learning
A host of worthy learning opportunities have been shared with me, and this weekend I have to review those opportunities and figure out which ones will meet the learning/teaching progress I'd like to make on my own and with colleagues.