Sunday, August 20, 2017

Travel Lends Perspective for Good Living, Kind People

Happily spent time with some of my former fourth graders.
I've been touring a number of states in the past few days, and I've noticed a lot.

Lots of Good People
First, as most will probably agree, I've noticed that there are a lot of good people out there. In general people are kind to one another and help one another out. This is the kind of country, I believe, that we all support.

Build Respect and Good Wages for All Jobs to Foster Better Communities
Next I noticed that there are areas that are thriving as well as areas that are challenged. In areas where there are thriving businesses, beauty, and lots of seemingly happy people, there's a lot of positivity. Yet, in areas that are challenged, you see people who are downtrodden and troubled. I do believe that we have to uplift the pay and respect for service workers and those that do some of the most challenging jobs in our society. As long as there is a great divide between those who have and those that don't, our entire country will suffer. We have to uplift respect, pay, and working conditions for all service workers and others who work for low pay and endure what seems like inhuman conditions.

Protect and Preserve Natural Beauty
I also noticed that there is more peace than trouble in areas where the environment is well protected and cared for. Beautiful, natural and created environments lead to greater peace.

Commit Reverence and Good Effort to Your Chosen Pursuits
Further I witnessed the pride that comes from dedicated effort, learning, engagement, and reverence for the work we do and professional respect and responsibility. It's important to take seriously the organizations/goals we commit to and work we do to forward those organizations and goals. Our good work matters to our own self respect and the betterment of the greater community too.

Revere Relationships
Finally since I spent a lot of time with others this weekend, I recognized the need for strong, respectful, and caring relationships. We need each other, and as much as possible, we need to revere relationships old and new with kindness and care. It's important not to be callous with our relationships.

Every time I travel outside of my home community, I realize that this kind of travel is so good for perspective. Getting away really helps you to see what's important. This short get away led to the perspective relayed above, and leads me forward too in the new school year--a year where I will work with reverence, respect, and relationship-building to foster students' best learning, care for one another, collegial respect/collaboration, and building a dynamic learning environment.