Thursday, August 31, 2017

Advocating for Khan Academy

For many years, I've successfully used Khan Academy in my classroom.

Today, I learned that use is denied. Why?

The denial has to do with student information and safety.

In my opinion, this seems like a step in the wrong direction.

While Khan Academy is not perfect, it is awesome.

With words, numbers, audio, and models, Khan Academy clearly explains many, many concepts in math and other subjects.

Khan Academy provides training in coding, puzzle work, SAT prep, and more.

Many students find Khan Academy as a very useful tool for learning, and an apt "intelligent assistant" as Thomas L. Friedman refers to in his book, Thank You for Being Late--a book about future-ready skills and abilities.

I successfully used Khan Academy to bone up on my K-8 math skills. It was great preparation for teaching.

Many students have used it again and again to grow their skill at the grade level and beyond. One student who completed his Khan Academy grade level learning earned a perfect score on a grade-level test. I'm sure his success, in part, was his Khan Academy practice.

My friend who teaches at an urban school remarks year after year how her students' scores are among the best in the city thanks to Khan Academy practice and learning.

No one computer program is all things, but a well-supported, creative, and continually growing platform like Khan Academy should be embraced by every family and every school system. It's the way of the future.

If you disagree with me, let me know.

If you believe that programs like this should be eliminated, tell me why.

It just doesn't make sense to me.