Saturday, July 29, 2017

Thoughtful Record Keeping Leads to Good Reflection and Analysis


Before school starts it's important to think about how you'll keep your records--the data that will help you to reflect and analyze the teaching/learning program well.

As I think about this today, I've made a list of assessment efforts that I'll monitor and collect. I'll make a hard copy student assessment sheet for each child and put them in a notebook which will make tracking and share easy. I'll also create an online record sheet for easy data input and manipulation to help me assess student learning as well as class teaching efforts.

MCAS
Students in Massachusetts take MCAS tests. Teachers and families receive these scores in the fall. The scores are one way for us to determine who is mastering the expected standards and who needs more support in these areas.

That Quiz
On That Quiz, I'll create a class assessment file and a class practice file. The assessment file will be a record of how students do with fact knowledge and other standards-specific knowledge tests. The practice file will include a host of practice exercise scores. Mainly this file will allow me to see who has fluency and accuracy with facts and who needs more practice in this area. It will also allow me to see who is making progress, and who continues to struggle. The practice exercises will allow me to see who is practicing when that's assigned and how they are doing.

Symphony Math
Students will regularly learn math via Symphony Math and Symphony Math tracks students' learning progress and needs.

Track My Progress
Students will take this assessment quarterly which will demonstrate how they are doing with expected math standards.

Home Study
I will assign a weekly home study assignment. Once a week, I'll check students' efforts in this regard. Every year I try new systems in this regard, but what's important is noticing who is practicing and who is not. Generally students who don't practice much, don't make as much progress. Yet with all the research related to little benefit with regard to homework, I want to tread gently in this area.

Assessment Scores
Students take regular standards-based paper/pencil assessments. I'll track their performance and needs related to these tests.

Khan Academy
I will use Khan Academy metrics to see who is successfully using this platform to practice and learn.

TenMarks
I will also look at students' TenMarks practice and performance metrics.

Observation and Math Talk
During class I'll observe student effort, teamwork, questioning, self advocacy, independent learning skills and more. Students and I will talk a lot too about what they need, want and desire with regard to their learning. I will keep a simple student notebook for anecdotal/observation notes and data.

Project/Problem Based Learning and Math Writing
Generally rubrics and checklists will guide this work and assessment.

So, at the start of the year, when I introduce students to assessments and how we can use them to manage, develop and assess learning growth, need and interests, I will tell them about the many ways that we can assess what they're doing, how they're doing and what they need or desire.

Then at parent conference time, I'll share the following information on a student assessment sheet in addition to students' share of their showcase portfolio with specific examples of their learning, creativity, project/problem work and study.

Update: We create this data sheet now using an online mailing program that sorts and organizes data from spreadsheets into individual reports.