Friday, December 16, 2016

Ownership and Good Work


Last year I was so inspired as I co-led a team effort with regard to math teaching and learning. In all, it felt like we worked as a team to support our young learners.

This year that task and the way I completed the work were removed from my charge in order to mirror our efforts to efforts directed and used throughout the system. Now I am charged to follow the lead and process of others in this regard. In a sense this change removed my ownership of the effort. Instead of co-leading, I am now relegated to following the directives of others who do not know my students or work in my classroom. I am allowed to add a few comments, however.

When we remove ownership from educators, it has a challenging affect. When you move from leading to following, it's difficult, yet I will do as I am directed.

Experiencing this change makes me realize once again how important ownership is to our students too. Do they feel like they own their learning? Do they have choice and voice in the process? Are they creating their own goals and accessing our support to reach those goals?

Ownership matters when it comes to effective teaching and learning. To lose ownership is to realize how important it is. Tough turns in the road build compassion, empathy, and understanding, and can be looked at as positive in that regard.

As the quote above suggests when teachers and learners have a sense of ownership related to their work places and efforts, those teaching/learning institutions develop with strength. When that ownership does not exist, then we risk the demise of our schools and systems.

Quote Reference