Monday, June 27, 2016

Wayland Literacy Institute 2016: Day One

Many wonderful teaching/learning ideas and perspectives were shared today at The Wayland Literacy Institute 2016. I captured many of those ideas and perspectives in the slideshow below.

I also presented information about digital story composition. I had a wonderful group of teachers at the presentation. I also listened to Sarah Sontag thoughtfully introduce Stephanie Harvey's and Anne Goudvis' Comprehension Strategy toolkit. A kit that I would like to use, in part, during ELA RTI.

My big takeaway from the day was that reading quality examples of literature and other text to students gives those students a vision for what they want to write and whom they want to be as authors and communicators. I want to think carefully about the mentor text "stack" I use to lead students' writing vision and effort. I also want to continue to look for ways to engage and motivate students with regard to writing across the curriculum. The role of audience is an important consideration in this effort.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the tweets from this terrific learning event: