Monday, January 25, 2016

The Carrot

Image Reference
Over the weekend I reached out to an organization that I thought matched my son's strengths and interests well. I had heard about this match from one of my son's classmates' moms.

I filled out a form demonstrating interest, and the person in charge of the organization wrote a note to my son that included information about what my son might do to connect with organizations such as this one. My son was inspired by the short, seemingly generic letter. It spurred him on and gave him some vision as to what he wants to do and how he'll do it. In a sense it was a carrot for better work and deeper learning.

As parents and teachers we must always be mindful of the fact that we don't have all the answers and that it's important to reach out to make connections with others who may have what a child needs or desires. On the other hand, we need to be there to write that short note or lend a hand when we have what a child needs too. Together our potential to motivate and inspire students is amazing.