Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Passion?

I am a passionate person who feels deeply, yet some find that passion difficult. They do not understand the depth, emotion, and feelings that are a big part of who I am and what I do. In fact, when I express my point of view, they find fault with my beliefs, share, ideas, and excitement. I've worked to tone it down, keep silent, not share, yet when I work vigorously, honestly, creatively, and transparently with others, my work with children is much richer, deeper, and strong.

In some places, where "one size fits all" teachers, programs, delivery, and personality are supported and encouraged, it's very difficult to be who you are and reach the depths or share possible. In these arenas, silence and step-to-the-expected-beat work is expected. These are difficult arenas for creative, expressive people like me. There are other places, however, where passion is welcome, embraced, and seen as a positive attribute, an attribute that leads to good work and effort.

I've thought a lot about this as an elementary school teacher since it's a place where expressive passion and emotion like mine is unwelcome by some. I grew up in an expressive home; I am a creative person who spends a lot of devoted time on my craft; and I like to teach in ways that I know reach children well. I'll continue to think on the subject and the many challenges that come my way in this field. If I had to do it again, I'm wondering if I would choose teaching because too often what I deem innovative, creative, evolving, and dynamic are not welcome in this field. Something to think about, something to continue to use to develop who I am and what I do for and with the learning team: children, colleagues, families, leaders and community members.