Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Response to Frustration

A while back, during an online chat, a member of my PLN reacted with frustration toward comments I made.

As I read the frustrated retort, I thought, I know that voice. Sometimes when you're advocating for something that means so much to you, you simply can't understand that anyone anywhere doesn't understand your point of view, passion, perspective, or direction.

Yet we all know so much and so little at the same time. Our paths and perspectives are dramatically diverse at times, and there's almost no way that we can understand one another without concerted effort, time, and energy.

I still don't fully understand what my PLN member was trying to say to me, but I'm gaining greater insight as I listen and observe more. Also, I trust that individual's heart and passion.

I'm recognizing that what I often defined as disrespect was unknowing instead, and that frustration, though natural, can close doors rather than invite conversation and collaboration.

When we're frustrated, there's a reason, and it pays to think deeply about the roots of that emotion and proceed with care and compassion toward those who may not understand what you are doing or what you have to say. Onward.