Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Ferguson Reactions in School


It's possible that students will mention Ferguson in school today. It's also possible that they will see protestors on the street as they ride to and from school.


I am not an expert on the situation.


I will take President Obama's lead with these quotes,

"We are a nation built on the rule of law, and so we need to accept that this decision was the grand jury's to make," Obama said late Monday night. "There are Americans who agree with it and there are Americans who are deeply disappointed, even angry. It's an understandable reaction. But I join Michael's parents in asking anyone who protests this decision to do so peacefully." - President Obama

and,

"But what we want to do is to make sure that we're also focusing on those who can offer the kind of real progress that we know is possible -- that the vast majority of people Ferguson, the St. Louis region, in Missouri and around the country are looking for," he said. "I want to be partners with those folks and we need to lift up the kind of constructive dialogue that is taking place." - President Obama

I will refer to the Bill of Rights and Amendment One which includes the ". . .right of the people to peaceably assemble."


And, I highly regard our State governor, Governor Deval Patrick, and the Mayor of Boston, Mayor Marty Walsh, and I will share their words with the students. 


We are not a perfect country or a perfect people, there is room for growth and change to better care for, support, and protect all Americans. As a mother and teacher, I am very interested in anything we can do to promote our children's and young adult's safety and success.

For my part, as an educator, I'll do my part to give students voice with regard to America's history, both positive and negative, and their dreams for a better world. I'll encourage them to be part of the solution with positive effort, and emphasize that a good education will give them the tools they need to build a better democracy. I'll also do all I can to uplift every child that I work with.