Monday, March 11, 2013

Promise and Possibility in the Classroom

The grace and challenge of working with young children is that you see promise and possibility all the time.  In children's eyes, you see the promise of the future, and in their requests, enthusiasm and actions you note the possibilities of how you might serve their needs, interests and passions better.

Daily data reports similarly leave us with endless possibilities as to how we can meet individual student's needs.  Online reports produce individual feedback and actions for specific students, reports that require some one-to-one teacher/student time for best effect. Similarly paper/pencil and observation assessments point to targeted learning needs, needs that require thoughtful planning and pointed efforts by teachers and students.

The best way to help students is to be thoughtfully aware of their current performance levels, interests and needs, and then craft plans and lessons that are responsive and engaging.  In the school house, all who work there can help serve students' needs by streamlining systems so that most efforts support children's learning in happy, responsive environments.

How can I work in this effect?

First, I can provide feedback in a timely, responsive way such as one-to-one editing, personalized learning menus, specific responses on student work and apt goal setting with students and parents.

Next, I can think about and research the tools, strategies and processes that will help students learn with better effect. By spending time daily, I can access engaging tools and processes.  Right now I'm seeking new ways to develop fact mastery for struggling students, brain games for students with processing challenges, and a a new math challenge program. I'm also engaged in revising the fraction unit in order to embed new standards, reworking the geometry unit with similar intent, working with a colleague to access the iPads that sit waiting for us and rewriting our endangered species guided research unit.  Further I'm exploring SumDog Math and English with greater focus, Manga Math with greater specificity and more digital story tools to develop writing and presentation. I have found that apt, new tools serve to excite the learning environment and develop students' learning in new and enriching ways.

After that, I can make time daily to listen to students' requests, questions and needs, and respond accordingly.  I must let their needs, interests and passions lead the way for my work.

I write about this theme often--it's a way of cheering myself on to do my work well.  Teaching can be a lonely endeavor, and regular refocus is one way to boost one's energy and travel the path with greater effect.