Saturday, October 05, 2013

Why I Want Minecraft at Elementary

Teachers are always looking for ways to educate and engage. I read, observe, listen and try to integrate meaningful platforms and experiences into student learning so that my students are drawn to the event. I'm no different than any other teacher; we know that engagement matters.

So with that in mind, let's talk about Minecraft. Children are crazy about it--they collaborate and create for hours. They LOVE it and want it at school. They are always talking about it, asking for it, and relaying stories about it.  I've tried it a few times, and must admit I've yet to understand it well, but my son assures me that as soon as I get the hang of it I'll be hooked.

Educators in my PLN try it and use it with students. They remark about the way it builds collaborative spirit and communication, creativity, and problem solving.  Then last year I watched the way that neighboring students created Minecraft virtual habitats for animals which taught the visitor about the facts and information related to the endangered animal, both the creators and the visitors were captivated by the displays. Just yesterday a boy on the playground was telling me all about he and his friends' collaborative Minecraft creation--the vocabulary he was using made me wish I had a dictionary nearby.

I think we need to try out Minecraft in school. We need to figure out a way to let children explore, create, and share their Minecraft adventures and creation. In days of old we brought in Monopoly and Life because children enjoyed it, and we knew that game playing helped to foster team and engagement. We still bring in blocks, Legos, super heroes, art supplies and more to make the classroom engaging and collaborative, and to give students multiple fun choices during recess and free time. Children ask me daily if they can use Minecraft. I tell them that I'm trying to get permission. In the classroom it would serve as the carrot at the end of the week after all the tough standards-based reading and writing we have to do; a time to create and build with friends, a time when learning is a game.

This is the second year that we've been asking for permission to try out Minecraft, and the second year that it has been denied for the grade level. I am most sad about this because I know if we had this platform, I'd be able to easily pull in a number of learners with the use of their favorite activity.

Let's find a way to make this happen, and if it doesn't engage, empower, and educate, then we don't have to keep it. But for a once a week collaborative STEAM lab, I think there's wonderful potential here. Am I wrong? Will we ever really know if we don't try it?

Thanks to Rhonda Jessen @rjessen for reminding me of this powerful video:

Minecraft Rationale

BBC
Geography