Tuesday, May 28, 2013

PLC Norms?

What norms support positive, professional conversation and debate?

How can norms ensure that everyone is heard?

What is the optimal size in breadth and depth of an issue to take on in an hours' time?

What kinds of prep, communication, and planning are expected when it comes to problem analysis and debate?

What issues take priority? Who chooses the agenda?

What issues underly decisions and discourse?  Who is responsible for the decisions made?

Soon, our PLC will revisit norms.

That's a challenge for me.  Since my earliest days, I've had a lot to say.  I read, think, and write a lot.  I make the time to think deeply and carefully about decisions.  In college, I devised the a..b...z response where I never responded if it was an "a/b question--one with a predictable response" and always waited for the "z response--the answer that demanded a risk and a lot of thought."  That was my way of limiting my responses, not taking over.

At PLC's I've tried many approaches, all unsuccessful.  It takes great patience for me for multiple reasons.  Hence, now it's time to reset the norms mostly to remind me to wait my turn, not interrupt, sit quietly, and listen.  The challenge lies in the fact that all decisions made at the table affect my daily work with students.  All of the decisions directly impact the classroom teacher, and even little decisions made quickly or without sufficient thought can mean less time for the good work possible with children. Hence it's difficult to just sit by and listen without input.

I frankly share this dilemma as I believe there are many out there that will have advice for learners and thinkers like me.  I'm not always right. I don't know it all. I look forward to challenge and debate, yet it's time to face the facts, similar to the classroom discussions and debates, there's limited time and everyone wants a voice at the table.

How do we make time for everyone's voice?  How do we choose, prepare for, debate, and make decisions about issues that matter--issues that affect teaching children well?

Addition 1/2/15
Since writing this post, I've determined that the process makes the difference. Well thought out process creates positive avenues for deliberation and share. Our PLC this year has used a number of successful strategies in this regard. Further the ideas set forth with regard principled negotiation have positive promise for PLCs.