Wednesday, May 08, 2013

New Knowledge Demands a New Setting

As I looked around my classroom yesterday, I was dismayed.  The students and I have outlived the current organization, and it's time for a clean-up and change.

As we move from a structured, test-prep mode to a multi-modal, project/problem base learning mode, it's time to restructure the room set up. What will change?

First, I'll establish a STEAM corner of the room with easy to access "maker" supplies such as paper, glue, rulers/scissors, building materials, and more. The supplies will be organized so that students have easy access as they create the endangered species infographic, biomes bulletin boards, and endangered species projects.

Next, I'll reorganize the book corner with the students' help. We'll make an endangered species study center, throw out old, torn books, and arrange the book cases by genre. I may even buy a few new beanbag chairs as the students really enjoy sitting and reading in those chairs.

After that, we'll clean desks. I'll have students bring home folders, books, and notebooks that they no longer use, and arrange their supplies for the new study units.  I'll also put away classroom units and supplies related to past units to make room for the new.

We'll clean the lunch bucket, coat rack (no more snow clothes and boots), tabletops, and counters.

I'll wear my cleaning clothes today, and once the last test is done, the cleaning will begin.  This will renew our spirits and direction as we embark on the final six-week chapter of the year.