Thursday, November 08, 2012

Shut Your Door and Do Your Best?

"Shut your door and do your best," is the advice I get from many.

I don't believe in that advice.  I believe that apt collaboration can move educators forward.  Perhaps I want too much, too fast.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

The enthusiasm, learning and synergy created when apt learning design is at play in the classroom is what fuels my energy towards innovation and change.  When the classroom is fueled by just right learning energy, the following actions happen:
  • children use language to discuss and problem solve about the learning focus.
  • children help one another.
  • children are engaged.
  • children create.
  • children are proud of their endeavor and result.
  • children learn from each other and teach me too.
  • our collective energy and intent inspires each other.
This type of learning environment truly enlivens the spirit, mind and imagination, and allows students to  see learning as a forward path--a road to discovering yourself and gaining skill, concept and knowledge that will make you strong, smart and happy.

This learning environment is very different from the "factory school model" that still exists in many, many schools today. 

Hence, I'll keep pushing forward; I just have to learn to do it in a way that convinces others that the journey is worth it.  Ideas?